Monday, October 13, 2008

Cool Mornings, Meet Mama Bear

Thanks to having family and friends in town this weekend, we now have our woodstove installed! We've been having some pretty cool mornings already- I think the lowest was 37 degrees- and although we are supposed to hit 80 today, it is only 45 outside right now and 56 inside. The kids and I lit a small fire to knock the chill off and I can hardly wait until really cold weather when we can get an even bigger fire cranking.

The stove is a Fisher "Mama Bear" that my dad brought up to us. After sanding off the rust and putting on a coat of stove paint, it's as good as new. It took a bit of muscle to get it down in the basement. I'm thankful my dad, brother, brother-in-law and another friend were here to help Curt bully it into place. I'll move furniture around the house in a heartbeat, but I'm glad I wasn't called upon to heft a cast iron wood stove down a set of narrow stairs.

We decided to put the stove in the basement to save space in the house. We only have about 600 sq ft here, so losing even a little bit of that is a big deal! The basement is damp and musty; I'm really hoping having the stove going down there will keep help get rid of the funky smell that wafts up every time we open the basement door. Of course, finally getting around to scrubbing it with a vinegar and tea tree oil mixture (or one of the other suggestions at Crunchy Chicken) would probably help, too!

I'll see if there's enough light down there to get a decent picture... stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Keely, I really enjoy reading your blog and keeping up with you guys. Miss knowing you are right down the road. Look forward to seeing you at Christmas in Memphis.

    Love, Aunt Ellen

    ReplyDelete