Monday, November 10, 2008

Oatmeal-Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies

 

I love the peanut butter-chocolate chip combo and made my favorite cookies today. I mentioned this on my facebook page and when others requested the recipe, I thought I'd post it here, too.

This is a recipe that I have developed over the past several years- you can change things up in all sorts of ways. The version here is just the way I like them- but they may not be sweet enough for everyone. I have made it with all types of sweeteners, everything from regular ol' sugar to maple syrup to Rapadura (unrefined, dehydrated cane juice- has some nutrients and minerals that are stripped out of other sugars, even the "natural ones"). I use whole wheat flour whereas white would work just as well. You could get away with less butter, but why would you want to? You can get away with one egg instead of two if, like mine, your chickens have off days for laying and you hate running to the grocery store when you really just want to bake some cookies.. .And you can adjust the amounts of peanut butter and oats depending on your taste and texture preference. Just one thing you can't mess with- you *must* use the whole bag of choc chips, they just won't turn out at all if you don't ;o)

1 C. butter (2 sticks)
3/4 C. Rapadura sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C. peanut butter
2 C. whole wheat flour
1 tsp.baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 C. rolled oats
1 bag chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar together. Beat in eggs until smooth. Add vanilla and peanut butter and beat until creamy. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together, then add a little at a time to butter mixture. Stir in oats and chocolate chips. Spoon onto ungreased baking sheet and bake in 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. Pour glass of cold milk or cup of hot coffee, dip and enjoy!


 


Here are the various quantities and types of sugar I have used with success:

3/4 C. brown sugar & 3/4 C. white sugar (original choc chip recipe, too sweet for me)
-you can take this down to half a cup each
-you can also use just white or just brown, even down to 1/2 C. sugar total

1/2 C. maple syrup & 1/2 C. sugar (any kind- Rapadura, brown, white)
-not sure if I have tried it with this particular recipe, but you could use honey instead of syrup
-need to try it with just syrup or honey... will let you know the results. Too bad I'll have to bake more cookies to try it out- but I'll do it for the sake of my friends, and science.

And I don't have a picture of the final product, because I just don't have the will power to get out the camera when I could be eating these cookies instead...

Posted by Picasa

1 comment: