Friday, July 24, 2009

First Cabbage


Behold the first cabbage I've ever grown! It looks a little nibbled here, but inside a couple of leaves it was perfectly unblemished. It was turned into a rather tasty salad thanks to my friend S.S.'s recipe for "Ensalada de las Promotores." It is very close to what Curt and I ate with almost every meal during our travels in Central America. Went very well with the enchiladas I made last night. The enchiladas that are on their way to becoming my signature dish- all three kids like it (miracle!), simple to put together, basic ingredients, adaptable to whatever filling I have on hand, easy to take to potlucks, and it freezes well. The only problem is that I want to eat it in vast quantities whenever it is near me.

But back to the cabbage... I didn't get very good germination, so I only have about 5 of these. Although I planted them all at the same time, the friendly cabbages were nice enough to sprout and grow at different rates, so it is almost like I purposefully planted them in succession. I might try my hand at homemade, fermented sauerkraut with the next one. Please comment if you have experience or suggestions with that. Actually, please comment anyway- it'd be nice to know if anyone is really reading my drivel!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful cabbage! Cabbage has become far more of a favorite vegetable of mine than I would have ever thought. I like to plant some red ones just because they are so incredibly beautiful. Would you post the salad recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading, too!

    We just let half a cabbage go bad in our fridge. I like coleslaw on occasion, but no one else in my family is a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am reading! and would love the enchilada recipe when you get the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the enchilda recipe--the ones I have are always tasty, but on the labor intensive side.

    BTW, I found your blog through Sarah H--I used to live with her in Vancouver, now have moved back to NC. It's fun to here of your farm adventures...

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete