Monday, April 26, 2010

Sunday Hikes

We've been living here in this beautiful area for almost two years now. There's always something to do around the house and certainly on the farm, but we're also surrounded by wonderful outdoor opportunities beyond our little hilltop that we want to take advantage of more often.

I have been inspired by Renee at FIMBY (Fun In My Backyard) (and also at AdventureinProgress) and her family's plan to set aside one day a week to spend as a family, observing a sort of sabbath and exploring the outdoors beyond their own backyard. Check out this post for both inspiration and practical tips to make it happen.

So three weeks ago we set out on our first Sunday afternoon outdoor adventure. And two weeks ago we did another. And yesterday, yet another! I think we're catching on. Right now, what is working for us is to set aside Sunday afternoons for this. The hardest part for me is to not think about all the things that need to be done here at home- a house to be cleaned, clothes to be washed, things to be planted, weeded, etc., but I'm getting the hang of that part, too.

I waited to see if this new plan really had a chance of "sticking" before I blogged about it, so now I have three to to report on. Here are some photos from our first outing- at Douthat State Park. Soon to follow are the other two- and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to make a habit of keeping up with our weekly outings (boating is high on the kids' list once it warms up a bit more!) and a weekly post about it...

 



 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm glad you started doing this! looks like lots of fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go family time! You guys definitely live in an excellent area for hiking and outdoor adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like to get outside as a family, but it's hard to do this time of year. 100+ temps for the next several days. Cabin fever, Central Texas style, has set in.
    - Jon Camp

    ReplyDelete