Saturday, November 27, 2010

Farm Decisions

Well, we finally made some decisions about how to balance the arrival of a new baby in May and what we have going on with the farm. After much deliberation, we are selling our Jersey heifer.



I knew early on that we didn't need to have a lactating bovine along with a lactating me. It took a little longer to decide to not keep our unbred heifer at all.

We have had some responses to an ad we posted to sell her, so I am hoping to have everything taken care of before winter sets in. As much fun as it was hauling 5 gallon buckets of water from inside the house out to the barn in two feet of snow and freezing temperatures last year, I thought it might not be *quite* as much fun while 6 months pregnant. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong...

Regardless, it was still a difficult decision and we'll all feel some sadness when Ellie finds a new home. We all know it is for the best, though. Just having her for the past 19 months has taught us so much about cows, farm life and ourselves. And honestly, one of the best lessons was learning that I think I may be more suited to having goats!

Next challenge will be to restrain myself on my garden seed order...

3 comments:

  1. Goats? Hmm they may be a bit more to keep up with than the cow, I dunno. Tough decisions but you are to be commended for making them early on rather than in the thick of of things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know how you must feel torn....We finally made the decision to keep our Jersey and try and get her bred again...It's a hard decision to make! Hope all goes well for you :)

    ReplyDelete