Monday, July 27, 2009

What's up, Doc?

The carrots are getting away from me! Both varieties I planted have done well. The 'Danver's Half-Long' germinated really well and I had more of those to begin with, but the 'Scarlet Nantes' variety is my favorite of the two for taste. It is the longer, slender one in the center of the basket, above.

The carrots are yet another reminder of all the things I am learning the hard way this year- apparently, you can't just leave the carrots in the ground and pull them when you want to... The ones in the picture are a good size, but many of the ones still in the garden are now huge! I'm afraid they aren't going to taste as good.

Since we don't have a root cellar yet and we're heading into our hottest time of year, I am going to try to can some of the carrots tomorrow. Wish me luck; another first, another learning experience!

P.S. Also accepting other carrot preservation suggestions and recipes!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment