Friday, November 21, 2008

Another Snow Day? and Hot Cocoa Recipe

Well, it is three days since our last bit of snow and we may get more today. We have already had one little snow shower this morning, with clouds moving in that promise more. Mr. M is home from work today, so I really hope we get enough to play in all together! Unlike my dad, who almost always had the day off when it snowed, Mr. M has had jobs that seem to go on no matter what- especially when he worked for FedEx!

So, we're hoping for snow here and getting the hot chocolate ready again!

About 7 years ago, when I was starting on my journey to make more things from scratch, I began using a hot cocoa recipe from the back of a can of Hershey's cocoa. In the intervening years, it has changed along with my nutriotional standards! First we started reducing the sugar, then increasing the cocoa (that was just because I like it chocolate-y... and so I didn't have to dirty up a different size measuring cup when we had no dishwasher!). And later traded the sugar for various other sweeteners. We usually use Rapadura now, but it did take us some time to get used to the subtle flavor change. You could also use honey, maple syrup, or the good ol' white stuff- it is definitely the cheapest option. So without further ado, here's our recipe:

1/4 C. cocoa (I do a "heaping" 1/4 C.)
1/4 C. Rapadura sugar (or white sugar, etc.)
1/4 C. hot water
4 C. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix cocoa, sugar and hot water in a saucepan and cook over med-high heat for about a couple minutes. It should be bubbling. Reduce to med. heat, add milk and heat to desired temp- Do not boil! Remove from heat and add vanilla. Enjoy!

P.S. for an extra treat add "micro" marshmallows... (for those of you near me, you can find these at The Cheese Shop in Stuarts Draft- made with corn syrup instead of high fructose corn syrup(oooooh, aaaaahh...)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I wonder if the Cheese Store could mail some micro marshmallows? Is their shop far from the interstate? Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete